Sunday, July 26, 2009
Hiking Mount Nebo
My Dad is a stud. I think I may have mentioned this before but I'm going to say it again. And part of his studliness inspires him to get us (his family) to go where few have gone before. This time it was Mount Nebo, the second highest peak in Utah (King's Peak is higher). So our goal all year has been to get in shape for this event which we planned to do on the 4th of July. I got fatter and fatter but I still made it to the top somehow. (and I think I sweat some of those pounds off :)!)Anyway we got all of our gear together, I even purchased an awesome new sleeping bag, pad, backpack, mess kit, and rain gear. My mom, Charlie, Rhett and Sawyer left early and went to claim our camping spot. My Dad and I waited for Josie to get off work and then we followed. The first hill was a killer and it was already a pretty view so I couldn't wait to get to the top! We made it to camp and made our dinner and beds and went to sleep, well I tried. I finally was almost asleep and then I hear rain drops. We were sleeping out. So I pulled part of the tarp over me and tried to sleep. Sometime after 3 I fell asleep and then when the sun started to come up around 6 it woke me up. ugh. Beautiful sunrise though! We ate breakfast packed up camp and then started the climb. There was lots of snow and mud and thin air complicating our hike but we soldiered on. Then they added heights and wind. Then they added a straight up, narrow trail with steep drop-offs on both sides. This is where Mom, Josie, Sawyer and Hal and Kare-bear stayed put. Anyways we finally made it to the summit and some of you might have been lucky enough to get a text from me while I was up there. I wrote our names in the notebook that is in a box on top. I am very proud of myself for doing something I really thought I couldn't do. After we sat there for a second we began the climb down. I think I may have broken the World Record for Crab walking since I did it for such a long ways. We got back to camp and finished our clean up and then headed back to the trucks. I had to go to work at 6. ugh. and it was already like 4:30. ha ha so we cruised down the canyon and then I drove to provo and got ready in like 10 minutes and went to work. so much fun. Thanks for taking me Dad!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment