SINGLE-GIRL THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU MARRY:It doesn't matter if you're planning to tie the knot with your man in the next couple of years or if that trip down the aisle isn't even on your horizon. There are some things that you better indulge in now, because once you're hitched? Forget about it.-
Date a guy who's totally wrong for you just because he has amazing abs. So what if he's five years younger and your polar opposite? I think that I've got this one DONE, a couple times over maybe but honestly I take all of my relationships, good and bad as a learning experience and I am forever grateful for them.
Collect at least six country stamps on your passport, including one from a place that until recently you didn't even know existed. Yes, it's fun to travel with your man, but you also have to have some solo adventures under your belt before you start sharing your life with him 100 percent. I am working on getting my passport as we speak, I can't wait to travel and since I am still in school I don't care if it is out of the country but there are somethings that I NEED to see! But the plan is in November to go on a cruise with a bunch of the single ER girls! yeee haw!
Embrace feminine decor. Don't go so far as to paint the walls pink — that'll freak out any guy who sets foot in your place — but stock up on stuff that appeals to your girlie side. When you're building a nest with him, you'll have to compromise on furniture and accessories, so pile on cute throw pillows while the decorating is all up to you (because here's a tip: Guys hate the things). So now that I have moved out to my little, ghetto apartment (it's not THAT bad) I took sometime this weekend and cleaned and decorated my room. I am going to post pics of it because 1) I think it's cute, 2) I need to prove that my room has been clean, atleast once in my life.
Wear a hip, fabulous ring on your left hand. Once you have an engagement band, you won't want anything detracting attention from the ring. I like this idea...now to find the ring!
Take advantage of the whole bed. You have the rest of your life to stick to "your" side when you sleep next to your man. Right now, place your pillow smack-dab in the center and make like a starfish. Pretty sure that I am a bed hog. Oh man.
Spend an embarrassing amount of money on a designer bag you love or heels that make you feel incredibly sexy. Chances are, when you have a joint account with your hubby, he's not going to get why a purse might be worth the GDP of a small country. This is a fun idea, but I can't see myself justifying spending that much on a purse, ever. I would rather spend my limited income on making memories or saving it for something cool, like a car.
Learn how to change a tire and work a drill. It's easy to relegate all those "guy" tasks to your man (and you totally should enlist his help), but there's a sense of power that comes with being able to fix something yourself. I LOVE this one! I think it's great to be self- sufficient, and my dad is a really great teacher!
Throw blowout bashes. Sure, it's nice to have a mellow get-together with your girlfriends, but that shouldn't be the extent of your social life. Before settling down, let your wild side reign. This could be one of my favs! I looooovvvvveeeee parties! One of my favorite memories is my Nacho Libre party when I was at Snow and I need to plan more like it! In the next little bit I am going to throw a huge Halloween party (with Melmer) and I want to plan a Mocktail party (A cocktail party, only the drinks aren't as good ;))
Get a grip on your dough. Sign up for a retirement plan and invest extra income i Exactly how much money do you think I make?! I do try to save though :)
Want a cat? Heed this advice: Buy it now. Call it Snowflake. Let it sleep next to you n stocks or CD accounts. Take charge of your own cash flow before merging moola with your guy. in bed. If you wait to get a pet with your betrothed, it will end up being a big, slobbering Lab called Bif. Who wrote this?! Cats freakin suck. Dogs are the best and I will have a dog when I grow up!
If all you feel like eating for dinner is ice cream and diet soda, buy a cone and pop a Coke. When you and The Mister mangia together all the time, you'll be less likely to indulge those bizarre — but oh-so-satisfying — cravings. As I work graveyards, I eat this all the time but I am trying to lose some, so I should actually stop that one. I don't know if I'll ever be able to kick my candy habit though! :P
Use tons of hot water in the a.m. I think that our apt's waterheater supplies all of the hot water for Provo, and it's not that big so I've frequently taken cold ones (atleast it wakes me up!)
Plan your fantasy wedding. Now's the time to let your imagination roam — rip pictures of dresses from magazines, size up ceremony venues, and try on some rocks at the jewelry store. This stuff wigs guys out if they witness it, so get it out of your system now. Oh snap, I've only been doing this one for a few years... mostly because I love weddings thanks to working at the Chillon since I was 13. But I think I'll wait to make the final arrangements. lol.
Start a pleasure ritual that a change in your relationship status can't disturb. Regularly treat yourself to something you love, whether it's a manicure, yoga classes at the fanciest studio in town, or a superrelaxing massage. Wow, all of those things sound really nice. I think I'll stick to the free pedi I get with my over priced rent for now.
Set up your home in a way that fits your needs. Maybe keeping the coffee machine in the bathroom so you can get your caffeine boost while you put on makeup in the morning works for you. Until you have to deal with someone else weighing in on your unusual arrangement, customize. Ok, what are those water jet things that spray your bum so you don't have to wipe? I need one. kidding. I'm pretty good at the adapting thing and since I'm most likely the one who will cook and clean and all that fun stuff when (if) I get married, I'll put things where I please, thank you very much.
*sigh* time for some homework!
1 comment:
Hey Rach, I just stumbled onto your blog and I just have to say that you are so dang cute. I am going to miss all those crazy nights in the ER. I am glad you have a blog so we can keep up with each other.You will have to update me on all the crazy happenings in the ED.
Post a Comment