Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Christmas Miracle

So sad as it that I had to work Christmas Eve this year 1700 to 0500, it ended up being one of the best shifts ever! I worked the first half on peds, Santa came- that was fun. One of our little patients finally got the go ahead to go home and so one of us had to walk them out, so I volunteered. I got so much more than I bargained for! So in case you aren't familiar with UVRMC there is a large lobby with a big rotunda and a spinning glass door and that's where I took the Mom and baby I was walking out to wait while the Dad pulled around. So while we are sitting there waiting a SUV pulls up and this guy jumps out and runs to the passenger side door- he gets close enough to the glass doors that they start spinning and I can hear a woman screaming. Me- being an ER junkie is thinking someone's been shot, or stabbed! So I go running out there and there is not a stabbing victum but a very in labor woman - pretty sure if you know what crowning is- that was what I saw. YIKES! So I tell the husband to stay with her that I am going to get help and just for good measure I told her NOT to push. I ran inside and there is not another soul in the lobby (save the mom and baby I was walking out who looked like deer in headlights, ha ha) So I take off running (burning off some of that candy I ate) in search of a phone- security desk- no phone, cafe west-closed, security office- phone next to the door so I call 5555 and tell the operator CODE WHITE- main lobby and then I ran back to the car just in time to see the dad catch the baby! I was getting ready to help (well, try) when I see the blessed red of the lifeflight team! YAY! (Small babies so intimidate me and so does blood and gulp where babies come from) the baby was crying though so I was pretty sure she was going to be okay! Then finally Dr. Sanderson and Lauren showed up and Sandy cut the cord and they ran the baby up to Newborn ICU and then we got mom out of the car and onto the gurney and took her up to L&D. I can't imagine the pain that must come with childbirth and I honestly can say I sure hope that never happens to me- I want my epidural! I also got to thinking with it being Christmas Eve and all- the way that lady delivered probably wasn't all that different from how the Savior's birth was- (I bet I looked like a clueless sheep watching) it really is a beautiful thing to hear that babies first cry and see how tiny and perfect they are! Now that I am rambling...I love babies, I am grateful for that experience and hope I'll have better ones again someday, I'm grateful that lifeflight and Sandi came to my rescue, I'm grateful that the baby and Mommy were okay (I told the nurse that was taking care of them when I called to see how they were to suggest Rachel as a name- it was worth a try) and mostly I'm glad I was there and I was able to help- atleast a little. Oh and Merry Christmas- Happy Birthday to Jesus!

3 comments:

Ashlee said...

Way to go Rach! You should definitely be a nurse! haha

Anonymous said...

Could you imagine what they would have done if you weren't there to help?! They couldn't have asked for more perfect timing.

Great work Rachel, Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Rachel you are my hero!! Just in case you didn't know that :D